Welcome to Groups! With Groups, you can create small groups or classes for your church, schedule events, and facilitate communication between group members. As an Administrator, you have permission to manage all groups and settings in the account.
Setting Up Groups
If you are setting up a Groups account for the first time, you'll be take through a wizard that will help you through the process.
- Before you can add groups, you need to set up your church's URL, which sets the Church Center website for the public side of groups. A URL may have already been set up for you from the Accounts Page, as Giving and Registrations both use the URL as well.
- Once you've entered a valid URL, check out some information about Groups, and get started!
Getting to Know Groups
Whether you're the first Admin to set up the Groups account or you're working with an account that's already been set up, we recommend that you get familiar with how Groups works before starting to add or edit groups.
The main Groups page shows the information for all groups in the selected group type. To see details about an individual group, click the group.
- Group Types are containers for groups that have a similar purpose. Filter the list of groups by group type, or click Manage Group Types to manage or create new ones.
- View each tab to see the Reports, Events list, and Resources for groups in the chosen group type.
- Filter the groups list by tag.
- Check out Groups on Church Center to see how people will view the groups from the public website.
- Change the status of the groups or create a new group.
- Change the view of the groups list.
In the Tags page, you can add or edit tags for groups to help you filter groups on the Admin page and allow people to filter the list of groups on Church Center.
In the People page, you can view information for members of all groups, search for people, and filter the list.
Most of the group settings are available to group Leaders, so that they take care of the day-to-day management of their group. Group Leaders can create and edit events, add resources, update the group description and location, manage RSVPs, and take attendance.
However, there are some settings that can only be updated by an Admin and some permissions that group leaders won't have unless they are granted by an Admin.
Individual Group Settings
Only an Admin can update these settings for a specific group:
- Change the Group Type.
- Archive or delete the group.
- Edit or delete group location.
- Change enrollment settings and group display options.
- Allow leaders to search the Groups database and add members to their groups.
See the Manage Group Settings article for details on how to update these settings.
Group Type Settings
Admins can set up the following for all groups in a group type from the Group Type settings.
- Enable the map view so that people can see the exact location of a group meeting.
- Allow leaders to enable group messaging for their group (messaging is currently in beta).
Admins can also set default settings for all groups in the group type, which can be overridden for each individual group.
The public side of Groups, which is hosted on the Church Center site for your church, will be what your members see and where people can join groups.
The public group page lists the group description, schedule, and contact information for a group. People can also see the location and join the group from this page.
When people join a group or are added to a group, their information is saved in People. In the future, they can log in and access the groups they've joined.
Getting Help and Support
If you need any help as you're getting started with Groups, we are here to help you! Use the ? at the top right of every page our app to find help articles or open a ticket with our support team.